Insecure Writer's Support Group: Anniversaries

I guess for September I am celebrating 2 anniversaries. Only one is exciting.

IWSG is now 15 years old! That means I've been writing for just a little longer. My writing journey started one day when I was bored and didn't feel like doing my usual hobbies. I opted to write down a story I had been kicking around in my head whenever I let my imagination wander. When I got the idea for my first book, Being Human, I thought it was interesting enough that others might want to read it as well and looked into publishing. That was at the start of the ebook revolution. A short while later, I found IWSG and made amazing friends.

And read some awesome books as a result. One perk to being a writer is getting to know other writers and discovering their books. Not all of them do IWSG anymore, but if not for this group, our paths would never have crossed.

Happy Anniversary IWSG!

And since Alex is encouraging some shameless promotion here are my top picks of my own books.

image of a zombie lumbering towards a city
The Cure is a zombie apocalypse novella set in the town I live in, which I might add is the perfect spot if a zombie apocalypse were to happen. We have water, resources, and seclusion. If it ever comes to that, I'd recommend coming to find me.

image of a woman holding a tree leaf.
Leaves of Fall is a post apocalyptic fantasy set in a world where man and nature have gone to war. But an unlikely friendship could be the key to ending the hate.

The second anniversary that isn't as fun but I must be feeling hopeful because both my books I chose to highlight here have themes of hope.

September marks 2 years since hubby got laid off from his job. Neither of us expected this to be an anniversary. But what can you do when the job market decides to turn into a dumpster fire? And it's not just him. I've never known so many people who were laid off. Not even during Covid! At least that was a valid reason.

It's tough for us right now, but we have a loose plan. Hubby figure out a pivot that would still use his skills in coding and developing, but he has to learn a new language and that takes time. I'm still plugging away at my day jobs, but I've been making plans that I hope will lead to making things a little less stressful for us while hubby pivots. I told a coworker the other day that all fires eventually burn out (then promptly remembered 2 places that are perpetually on fire underground and ruined my point.) This won't last forever and I'm too stubborn to quit as I've often proven with my writing.

 Cross your fingers for us and anyone else struggling with this job market.

Today's post was part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group

image of a lighthouse with the text Insecure Writer's Support Group

Created by the ninja captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's a group for writers struggling with writing insecurity (AKA all of us) to gather and discuss their fears or to celebrate writing victories. If you are a struggling writer or need encouragement and friendship, join us. (Someone might have cookies!)

Remember to visit the co-hosts and give them a shout-out for helping. Kate Larkinsdale, SE White, JS Pailly, Olga Godim, and Natalie Aguirre!

Comments

I definitely agree. Making friends through the IWSG Blog has been wonderful for me too.
Natalie Aguirre said…
I've loved making friends and all the support I get from the IWSG. I'm glad you have a plan for coping with your husband's layoff. I know how hard it is. I was laid off from my job as a lawyer at 58 in 2014 six months after my husband suddenly died. I've had to make do with a just okay part-time job. I hope he finds what he's looking for, even in this bad job market.
CD Gallant-King said…
Ugh... this fire should not have been burning so long! Who keeps throwing used tires in it?!

I really enjoyed "Being Human." I really hope life gets back into some semblance of normal for you soon so you can get back to doing the things you love to do without fear and dread hanging over you!
I'm glad you found the group! May the pivot be what your husband needs.
Loni Townsend said…
I hope things start looking up for you! I'm the sole support for my family too. It gets tough when you have to juggle things. I hope the pivot helps your husband!