Insecure Writer's Support Group: It's okay to NOT write

So, my husband got laid off at the end of September. I don't need to tell you that's bad, but it's particularly bad in our case as his job paid about, oh... 100% of the bills. And gave us health insurance.

I am trying very hard to not say very mean things about his former employer.

As you can imagine this has ground my writing to a near halt. I've managed a few 200-word stories, but I haven't had the mental energy to attempt another chapter of Arctic Curse.

And I have been okay with that fact.

I used to get eaten up by guilt whenever life got out of control and shrank my writing time. I would lament not being able to write under pressure like other writers I knew. I hung my head when I had no word counts to post on Twitter. The guilt was so heavy, and as a result, I'd write even less. Too much mental energy was being consumed by the guilt.

Learning to let that guilt go and tell myself that it was okay not to write helped me to write during tough times. It wasn't a lot of writing. Sometimes it would just be editing.

But it was something and that was better than a big fat zero guilt-tripping myself caused.

This month for IWSG I want to tell anyone out there struggling to write that it's okay if you didn't write today. Sometimes life needs 100% of your focus and you have to put writing on the back burner. It's okay. The stories will wait for you. If you're worried about forgetting details, make notes. Arctic Curse has a summary of what I want the story to be at the top so when I can finally get back to it, I know what to do.

Another thing to consider is this time away might give you ideas that are better. Consciously you are running around like a chicken with your head cut off, but in the back of your mind, your muse is quietly working on the story. It's like when you hit a road block in your story and you have the solution come to you hours later when you are doing something else.

It's going to be okay. You're writer. Life can only stop the words for a time. Eventually they'll flow again.

Today's post was part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

image of a lighthouse with the words Insecure Writer's Support Group

Created by the ninja captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's a group for writers struggling with writing insecurity (AKA all of us) to gather and discuss their fears or to celebrate writing victories. If you are a struggling writer or need encouragement and friendship, join us. (Someone might have cookies!)

Remember to visit the co-hosts and give them a shout-out for helping. Nancy Gideon, Jennifer Lane, Jacqui Murray, and Natalie Aguirre!

Comments

Sending positive thoughts your way re the job situation. Take care of yourselves and hang in there!
Oh man, that really sucks. I'm so sorry. You're right, sometimes writing needs to take a back seat, and beating yourself up about not writing will only make things worse. It's a hard lesson to learn though.

Stay focussed and try to stay positive while you get over this hump. And it's okay to say mean things about the former employer!
M.J. Fifield said…
It is definitely okay not to write. I'm glad you've been able to let that guilt go.

Sending you and your husband positive vibes as you navigate your way through this experience. Hang in there!
Anonymous said…
Anonymously Esther O'Neill, East of the Sun, No guilt, please., especially about writing. - and thank-you for those words of yours. Life can only stop the words for a time.
What doesn't always work for everyone, but worked very well for me, was to write my stories as quickly as possible with no editing allowed. Then, during the editing stage, other life events weren't interruptions but part of the process. Also, I recently read "Why We Sleep" and learned that part of the sleeping process has the brain making those connections you mentioned.
As for ghost stories: I've always enjoyed a good spooky story and my all-time favorites are chicken-skin tales about legends of Hawaii.
https://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com
Hoping and praying for better news on the job front soon. It is definitely okay not to write. This last week has been so surreal for me. I had a pre-order publish date so I stuck with it, but I've been in the ER a bunch of times with my dad, and have had some part-time job wonkiness and odd hours, so... yeah, life is weird and sometimes I just carry around my journal like a security blanket without writing much in it, but weirdly that makes me happier.
Joyana Peters said…
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's job. I know how stressful situations like that can be. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and hoping you have next steps soon!
So sorry to hear about your husband's job. I agree -- we don't always need to write.