Insecure Writer's Support Group: Life Events VS Writing

I don't know if it's just my family, but big things always seem to happen right at the start of the year.

My brother died in January. My dad had his heart attack in February during a snow storm. I had my surgery in February. My father-in-law died in March. And now...

Hubby and I have bought a house!

We closed February 28th and there was a winter storm that day with bad winds. Not quite sure if it was before or after close, but we discovered this happened.

a downed tree in the winter
Luckily, it didn't hit the house and was close enough to the road to be the city's problem. We were also without a fridge up until yesterday thanks to the previous one dying about two weeks ago.

I've been running around like a chicken with my head cut off to get everything set up and get moved. We still have some furniture to get and a dining room table, but I want to say we are about 80% there.

Despite this big upheaval in my life, I am happy to report I have still written something. Not a lot, but I've opened a WIP and added to it. Given how past events have completely derailed me, this is a huge thing for me.

I think the main reason for this is I scaled back the minimum I wanted to get written in a week.

Write one thing.

That's it. It may be a scene in Tenacity of Love or a 200-word story for A Quick Exam. But that's all I'm aiming for while navigating this upheaval in our lives. (At least this upheaval is a good one. Last year's really sucked and I'm still annoyed at my father-in-law for not fighting cancer.) As long as I can sit down at least one time during the week, I've achieved my writing goal.

It's honestly been a bit liberating having such small goals. I feel a lot less overwhelm because 200 words is doable. A scene or chapter is doable.

I don't get that instant exhaustion that hits me when I get overwhelmed by all I have to get done and holy shit how am I going to do it all and results in me taking a nap because I'm trying to recharge so I can attempt something, but even when I wake up, I'm still exhausted because all that stuff is still there.

(Forgive my run on sentence.)

I also made peace with the idea that I may get no writing in during the move. That alleviated a lot of guilt as well. Guilt can really weigh you down. Releasing it before it has a chance to exhaust me has helped in squeezing some writing in.

How have you handled writing during a big life event? Does anyone else get all the big stuff out of the way at the start of the year?

Today's post was part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

image of a lighthouse with the text Insecure Writer's Support Group

Created by the ninja captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's a group for writers struggling with writing insecurity (AKA all of us) to gather and discuss their fears or to celebrate writing victories. If you are a struggling writer or need encouragement and friendship, join us. (Someone might have cookies!)

Remember to visit the co-hosts and give them a shout-out for helping. Kristina Kelly, Miffie Seideman, Jean Davis, and Liza @ Middle Passages!

Comments

M.J. Fifield said…
When we moved to the swamp state here, we were without a fridge for a few days (I forget how long it was now) because the house didn't have one. It made shopping for one easy, though, because we were pretty much, "What's in stock that can be delivered ASAP?"

Congrats on your new house! That's so exciting! And congrats on finding a writing goal that's working for you!
Yeah for moving! Not really, moving sucks. But a new house is exciting!
I love your new writing plan: just write something. Clear, concise and doable. Progress for the win!
Liza said…
It's perfectly acceptable to give yourself a break, or to reduce your goals during big life events. Be kind to yourself! Congratulations on your new home. I'm glad you have something good going on now, and please accept my condolences on your losses.
It took me a long while to get settled in after my move a year and a half ago. Take time to enjoy the experience.
Best of luck with the move! I definitely find it hard to focus on long works during times of upheaval -- I often scale back to a poem or a short story idea. I love that you made small goals. :)
Fundy Blue said…
I' so sorry that you have been through so much recently, Patricia! You have my admiration for managing to write anything. May life become calmer and better in the coming months!
Anonymous said…
Anonymously Esther O'Neill, East of the Sun, and in a dead zone too. Glad the tree was the city's responsibility. We were crazy to buy a house 750 feet up in the hills, half a mile from the nearest public road. Love your thoughts on lowering you expectations about writing during your move. Today, I need to lower mine even further, because people want to stay over Easter. Time to be tha nkful they want to spend time with us.
I've moved house a number of times and it's always stressful. Accomplishing any goals, no matter how small we think they are - is awesome! Well done!
Jemi Fraser said…
Congrats on the house!!! So exciting - even with those winds. I'm glad the tree didn't hit anything. I've learned that big events take over my world - and it's okay if I can't write until I'm through them. Letting go of the guilt was harder before, but I've learned to do it. I also like setting small goals!
Congratulations on buying a house! Sorry for all of your losses. That's a lot in just a few months. At least the tree missed your house.