Insecure Writer's Support Group: Skip Button

December 6th question:

Book reviews are for the readers. When you leave a book reviews do you review for the Reader or the Author? Is it about what you liked and enjoyed about your reading experience, or do you critique the author?

I don’t really think about it as it’s more a matter of “Do I feel like trying to type on my phone?” because I tend to read in bed at night so when I finish a book, I’m in bed and I can’t type on my phone’s screen to save my life.


First off, I want to thank everyone for the suggestions on writing tactics last month. There was a good variety of advice in the comments. Will any of it work for me? We shall see. But probably not until next year. It’s the holiday months, so writing gets sidelined a bit for me.

And can I just say I’m not really looking forward to the holidays?

I’d rather skip to April (and skip winter while we’re at it.) I’m lacking the energy to deal with Christmas and it’s positivity. About the only thing I want to see is Christmas lights.

But I’m also not in the mood to vent.

Instead, I want to look at what I managed despite everything that got piled onto me (some of it shouldn’t have been. Maybe I feel like venting a little.)

In 2023 I…

  • wrote 34 200-word stories.

  • edited 54 100-word stories into 200-word stories.

  • which resulted in 2 finished A Quick Tale collections.

  • wrote 9 chapters in a secret project.

  • wrote 3 flash fiction pieces for Substack (one I killed myself in. There is no escaping The Suff.)

  • edited A LOT.

  • finished writing Strength of Love and started Tenacity of Love.

  • knitted 134 familiars and 23 hats (some patterns I wrote myself!)

Like, damn, y’all.

Today's post was part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

image of a lighthouse with the text Insecure Writer's Support Group

Created by the ninja captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's a group for writers struggling with writing insecurity (AKA all of us) to gather and discuss their fears or to celebrate writing victories. If you are a struggling writer or need encouragement and friendship, join us. (Someone might have cookies!)

Remember to visit the co-hosts and give them a shout-out for helping. C. Lee McKenzie, JQ Rose, Jennifer Lane, and Jacqui Murray!

Comments

Handle the holidays however you need to handle them. If Christmas lights are your thing, find as many of them as you can to watch. :)

I think you did awesome in 2023!
Jemi Fraser said…
You did really well - especially considering the circumstances!
Let's hope winter is bright and cheerful!
Wow, you got way more done than I did! I'm impressed. I know that feeling of wanting to skip a few months. I'm the same, but I wanna skip the heat of summer here in sub-tropical Brisbane. It's sooooo hot!!!!
J Lenni Dorner said…
That's great that you go so much done this year. The holidays can be a real stressful time. Take it easy.

What book did you most enjoy this year?
May joy, peace, and goodwill be with you this season and always.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction & Reference Author and Co-host of the April Blogging #AtoZchallenge
Patricia JL said…
@Madeine, Thanks. I plan to enjoy the heck out of them!
@Jemi, you should know given your basically my neighbor that Upper MI doesn't do bright winters. We all need vitamin D and sun lamps. LOL
@Lynda, I'll trade you. I'll take the summers and you can have the winters.
@J, It was a nice surprise.