Insecure Writer's Support Group: My Brain Is A Jerk

November 1st question:

November is National Novel Writing Month. Have you ever participated? If not, why not?

I tried once and my brain thought it would be utterly hilarious to not write a single word to spite NaNo. True story. My brain is a dick.


I feel the uncertainty of the future again. Lately, hubby and I have been discussing houses. By the time this goes out, we’ll have looked at least one, and I went through the process with our bank to pre-approved a loan. We’re both terrified because houses aren’t cheap. But our apartment is getting a little too small for us.

Hubby’s job as a software developer pays well, so we’re both confident we can buy a house on his income. Still, I don’t want that burden to solely fall on him. We’re a team, after all. A job with more hours than my crossing job might be in my future.

What does that mean for my writing?

That’s the million dollar question.

I know writers who carved out bits of writing here and there. I know someone who wrote their book in 10 minute increments while waiting to pick up their kids.

I’d love to do the same.

If my brain worked that way.

Unfortunately, not only is my brain a dick, but it needs time to get into a story. I can’t say, “I have 15 minutes to get some writing in. Go!” My brain only hears, “You only have 15 minutes. Now 14. Now 13.”

Then there’s the matter of energy. While I’m not perpetually exhausted like I was before my surgery, it’s definitely not optimal. For October, I had the 7:30am crossing guard shift. It’s only an hour. I get home and my body goes, “We’re home. We need to make up for getting up early.” I tried to push through the tiredness.

And spent the afternoon only able to focus on how tired I was and my inability to think. I ended up falling asleep in the end. So, I opted to snooze when I get home, but then around 7pm, my body decides it needs another snooze. Trying to push through that yields similar results to the morning efforts.

I have to figure out how to work around my brain and body’s hang ups. It will enable me to get a job and be consistent with my writing.

But I’m drawing a blank on ideas. I know what doesn’t work. So, I’m turning to the IWSG community.

Share your writing routines.
How you deal with your brain or body being a jerk.
Or how you write with a chronic illness if that’s you.

Maybe something will click with me. Maybe it will click for someone else struggling to get writing in.

Today's post was part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group.
image of a lighthouse with the text Insecure Writer's Support Group

Created by the ninja captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's a group for writers struggling with writing insecurity (AKA all of us) to gather and discuss their fears or to celebrate writing victories. If you are a struggling writer or need encouragement and friendship, join us. (Someone might have cookies!)

Remember to visit the co-hosts and give them a shout-out for helping. PJ Colando, Jean Davis, Lisa Buie Collard, and Diedre Knight!

Comments

Would it help if you decide the night before what you want to work on the next day? Maybe have the notes, pages etc set up on your desk/table? So when you get home, you sit right down to work or you work after your nap or after lunch, whenever it is that day you have more energy? That way there's less time spent thinking about what to work on because you already know what you're going to work on. And maybe leave off mid-sentence or mid-scene.

Please try to be kinder to yourself. :)
Jemi Fraser said…
Everyone is so different. You're on the right track looking for what fits your brain/body. You've checked out Becca Syme and the Write Better Faster stuff, right? My brain is very bouncy, so those 15 minutes work for me. Finding out (via Becca & the gang) that I'm not a complete wack-a-doodle has helped me settle into being me and that has been priceless.
When I quit a job and had all this free time, I thought I'd write a heap. I soon discovered I wrote more the less time I had. Not having the time forced me to make the time, to be more mindful and take the opportunities when they presented themselves. I also had to learn to be kind to myself when I just couldn't write. It's ok.
Diane Burton said…
Good luck on house hunting. What Lynda (above) wrote about free time. Same here. Right now, Life has worn me down. Writing isn't a priority. Hopefully, the need to write will prevail.