Insecure Writer's Support Group: AI versus Writers

October 4th question:

The topic of AI writing has been heavily debated across the world. According to various sources, generative AI will assist writers, not replace them. What are your thoughts?

two hands touching each other in front of a blue background
Photo by Igor Omilaev on Unsplash

Like everyone else on the internet, I have thoughts on AI. I won’t get into my thoughts of AI art because, as an artist, I might get ranty. Overall, AI is a tool. It can be used to make your life easier.

The main problem is how have the AI tools been trained? A lot of the training seems to be done on stuff people did not consent to be used and without compensation.

That is just not cool.

As I said, I have strong thoughts on AI “art” but I don’t begrudge people who want to make cool pictures with it. People should be able to do that. But the creators of these AI tools should be seeking permission and compensating the people whose stuff is being used to train. ESPECIALLY if those AI tool creators are going to make money of their tool.

If what you do is worth making money and allowing you to earn a living on then the people who created the things you used to train your tool on deserve to as well.


I want to thank everyone for wishing me luck with the farmer’s market. I got in and was able to do it one Wednesday, but that was it because…

I got a job!

It’s just a little job as a crossing guard. I only work about 1 hour a day Monday through Friday, but given how rocky my resume looks thanks to the pain caused by Endometriosis and Pelvic Floor Dysfunction, finding a day job is harder for me. I’m enjoying it, though. We’ll see if I still feel that way in the middle of winter.

I’ve also started writing a new story! My first one since February. I finished a first draft of an Influenced story about a week before hubby and I rushed down to Mississippi. Then, as you know, everything imploded with my father-in-law’s death. It feels nice and normal to be back to writing something new that is more than 200 words. Cross your fingers that life keeps her nose out of my business until I get this first draft done.

Today's post was part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group.

image of a lighthouse. Text reads Insecure Writer's Support Group

Created by the ninja captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's a group for writers struggling with writing insecurity (AKA all of us) to gather and discuss their fears or to celebrate writing victories. If you are a struggling writer or need encouragement and friendship, join us. (Someone might have cookies!)

Remember to visit the co-hosts and give them a shout-out for helping. Natalie Aguirre, Kim Lajevardi, Debs Carey, Gwen Gardner, Patricia Josephine, and Rebecca Douglass!

 

 

Comments

Excellent on the job! And keeping fingers crossed for that draft!
Congrats on the job! And on the story. Hopefully life returns to a more manageable, predictable schedule soon.
Patricia JL said…
@Madeline, Thanks. I got another chapter in today, so those crossed fingers are working.

@CD, I'd like that a lot!
J Lenni Dorner said…
Freaking exactly! Give credit where credit is due. Well put.
Congrats on the job.
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.” ― Sylvia Plath

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction & Reference Author and Co-host of the April Blogging #AtoZchallenge
Nas said…
AI is a machine and it will give you what you input. So for writing, yes, it will give you a blurb or a synopsis but then you will have to work at it. It will not replace humans and their creativity. And people should use it ethically.
Nick Wilford said…
Congrats on the job and getting a new draft underway. It looks like things are on an upswing.