Insecure Writer's Support Group: I got my eye on you, 2023

August 2 question:

Have you ever written something that afterward you felt conflicted about? If so, did you let it stay how it was, take it out, or rewrite it?

I can’t recall anything. There have been things I’ve written, and afterward, someone brought up a point that made me worry about how others would react to it. I didn’t change it, though.


We are now past July. Over halfway through 2023. I’m not sure how that happened. Things have been a little blurry since my father-in-law passed. Hubby and I survived the heat and humidity of Mississippi and are back in cool Michigan. I’m optimistic for the rest of the year, but the stress of my father-in-law’s death is hovering around, throwing rocks at our heads.

image of batman slapping robin. robin is saying everything is going to be ok. batman replies shut up. don't jinx it
from Imgflip Meme Generator
 

At least, the rocks are smaller. Little pebbles that sting, but they’re getting less disruptive.Last week, I applied for a part-time job at the high school. I’m hoping to be a lunch lady!

You may be asking what happened to the Salvation Army job. It wasn’t meant to be. They changed a full-time position to part-time which allowed them to hire another part-time cashier, but I was in Mississippi for who knew how long at the time.

But the nice thing about this new job is it’s seasonal. I’d get holidays and weekends off. It wouldn’t interfere with my vendor events. Summer will be open to travel. And write. I have writing friends who are teachers and summer is their writing time.Writing isn’t going anywhere, but I’m not sure what it will look like unless I get hired and see what my new days will be like.

I’m nervous to see how the rest of 2023 plays out, but I know I’ll manage whatever it throws at me. Writing is going to happen. Knitting will definitely happen. (It’s good stress relief, after all!) If I say I got this, it’ll happen. Fake it until you make it, right?

image of a lighthouse. text reads insecure writer's support group

Today's post was part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Created by the ninja captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's a group for the writers (AKA all of us) struggling with writing insecurity to gather and discuss our fears or to celebrate writing victories. If you are a struggling writer or need encouragement and friendship, join us. (Someone might have cookies!)

Remember to visit the co-hosts and give them a shout-out for helping. Kate Larkinsdale, Diane Burton, Janet Alcorn, and Shannon Lawrence!

Comments

Hey, if you've survived everything that's been thrown at you so far, then you're going to be okay. As long as the rocks keep getting smaller, you're moving in the right direction.

Good luck with the job!
Patricia JL said…
CD, I didn't get the job. =( I'll have to keep looking and surviving.
At least you are out of the heat of Mississippi, right? :Louisiana heat is about to broil me! Sorry you didn't get the job. Some storms in life seem to go on for too long, but they all teach us something important ... if only to survive until the clouds part! https://rolandyeomans.blogspot.com/2023/08/why-writing-in-crosshairs-iwsg-post.html
Tara Tyler said…
the summer just flew by — sorry I couldn’t get the chat going, but I haven’t forgotten about it
glad I got to see your update here!
I know you’ll get a good job that works for you.
keep knitting and writing!
Tara Tyler Talks
Anonymous said…
Having difficulty signing into google...so it's me...Michael Di Gesu, saying, "Hi!" Sorry you didn't get your job, but there may be a better fit with something else down the line. Like you, I feel this year is a whirlwind of emotions and difficulties that are getting a bit more manageable. Hang in there and keep KNITTING! I love to knit...yes, a dude knitting, but I've been doing it for decades. I just finished a beautiful plush baby blanket and finished my first scarf for a Christmas present for a close friend. This is the first of many I am sure. I usually kit about five or six for gifts. I hope to find some AMAZING wool when I visit Scotland during the holidays. My shopping list is mostly tartan wools and wool to knit various wonderful things! Enjoy the rest of your summer, Patricia!
Patricia JL said…
@Roland, Hubby is definitely glad to be out of the MS heat! I am too as it was so oppressive that it ruined the day. The sun would be out and it'd look great, but you didn't want to go be active because the heat was too heavy.

@Tara, I was thinking of the chat the other day and I miss it.

@Michael, Hi! I paused knitting to reply to your comment. =D