Insecure Writer's Support Group: I would like a break

Dear 2023,

Man, you’ve been…something. Between the deaths in my family and the ridiculous amount of travel, I honestly would rather deal with 2020. At least, then we got to stay home.

Seriously, we were down in Mississippi from February 22nd through April 15th. The next weekend, we traveled for my grandma’s memorial. The weekend after that I had a convention I was a vendor at. On May 6th, we got to stay home the entire weekend, but the weekend after that, hubby traveled for work. And the weekend after that was a family get-together. After that week was my nephew’s graduation, and the next will be his graduation party. And finally, the weekend after is another graduation. Then it’s back to Mississippi until July 8th.

I AM TIRED.

A cherry on top of 2023 is my uncle had a heart attack, so thoughts for him, please.

Image of a buff dog with the words over it My 2023 and a crying small dog with the words over it My 2020.
from Imgflip Meme Generator
It’s no wonder I haven’t really written anything new in terms of stories. Some 200-word flash fiction, but mostly, I have been editing. I feel like that doesn’t use as much brain power, and I’m lacking that this year.

AND WE’RE ONLY IN JUNE!

You guys, I’m not sure I can deal with the rest of 2023. I don’t trust it.

I think our best course of action is to put some good vibes into the world. Force 2023 to stop being such a dickhead.

Image of a lighthouse. text reads Insecure Writer's Support Group

Today's post was part of the Insecure Writer's Support Group. Created by the ninja captain, Alex J. Cavanaugh, it's a group for the writers (AKA all of us) struggling with writing insecurity to gather and discuss our fears or to celebrate writing victories. If you are a struggling writer or need encouragement and friendship, join us. (Someone might have cookies!)

Remember to visit the co-hosts and give them a shout-out for helping. Patricia Josephine (😁), Diedre Knight, Olga Godim, J. Lenni Dorner, and Cathrina Constantine!

Comments

I am sending good vibes your way - for you, for your family, and for the rest of 2023! Hang in there!
Praying for good vibes for you, your family, and all of us in 2023. And... I think editing is part of writing, so you are still writing (unless you don't want to be, then call it something else). Sending hugs your way.
Anonymous said…
I love writing in such a way, that it brings a person to another place in time.
Anonymous said…
I'm not familiar with substack though now I'm intrigued. Hope 2023 does a complete turnaround for you.
Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com
Prayers for your uncle. And may the rest of 2023 be a gazillion times better!
Patricia JL said…
Thank you everyone for the thoughts and well wishes. There's still time to turn 2023 around.
J.Q. Rose said…
Wow! You are having one heck of a year! I mentioned the seasons of your life. You are in a dificult season, but you can get through it. Sending thoughts and prayers for your uncle and family.
Nick Wilford said…
I hope the rest of the year calms down a bit for you and you get some more writing in. Sending good vibes.
J Lenni Dorner said…
I hope life is being kinder to you. I've gotten tired of losing friends and family every 6 weeks or so, it seems, since 2020. Something's gotta give.

July 4 is Alice in Wonderland Day, a commemoration of when the story was first told to the Liddell sisters by Lewis Carroll in 1862.

J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Speculative Fiction &Reference Author, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, and Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge